Sunday, November 20, 2011

Trips to 別府 (Beppu)

It's an hour's drive from Kunisaki to the heart of Beppu. We like going, especially on weekends, because it is so rewarding, and on a number of levels. Kunisaki is essentially a country town surrounded by wooded wilderness. Beppu, on the other hand, is a traditional holiday destination famous for its Onsen or Hot Springs. Not a big city in Japanese terms, but certainly big enough to have all those big city trappings. Maybe I'll make a list of what I find interesting.


  • 温泉 (Onsen). And I really like ひょうたん (Hyotan
  • Shopping! ゆめタウン (You Me town)
  • Eateries galore, and even You Me town food court is jam packed with tasty food outlets.
  • Now a University town! 立命館アジア太平洋大学 - Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University or simply APU.
  • The glitter of the main drag - if you have a car, then you have to drive the coastal route and the main stretch through Beppu - both in the day and at night.
  • The African Safari
  • Mount Takasaki (Monkeys!)
There's no doubt much more I should add. We went again this weekend, so I thought I'd share what I like about the place. Absolutely worth a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment