Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rice harvesting causes headaches

I had meant to get this post done, and dusted, the day that I did the rice harvest. A very pleasant sunny Sunday, and the one just gone. However unforeseen alcohol consumption put me to bed by 7:00 p.m. Apparently my new friends, who got me into that state, had called the house again by 7:30 p.m., wanting me to continue drinking with them, as the night was obviously still young. Unlike myself.

Well I'm guessing that being 'the only gaijin in the village' made me something of a novelty. Plus, alcohol got me practicing my limited 日本語 (Nihongo, or Japanese language) as best I could. Certainly for the linguistic newbie that I most patently am.


Anyway, with regards harvesting, I'd seen rice before of course. Mostly on my plate, often under a curry. But this was new. This was the real McCoy and in situ. This was rice at the sharp end. In the morning it certainly would feel that way.

I had even less of an idea of what to do, when we arrived at this new patch, than I had on the sunflower harvest. In fact to be quite accurate, I had no idea whatsoever.

First we got the instructions. I think that's what they were. It was in Japanese of course and I understood some small percentage of it. Probably the initial greeting, I'm guessing, giving me some 0.01% comprehension of the situation.


Nonetheless, rice seems to grow in a clump. Handy really. A quick cut at the base with a sharp blade and  then a little string to tie it. About 1/4 the way up from the base.


It's easy to then separate the bunch in half. Down the long side (from the string) so that it can be sat on top of a large bamboo pole. Though I am guessing, I'd say to dry in the sun.


After we had a go, the real work was done by a handy machine. This is Japan after all. At some point a 蝮 or Mamushi got cut in half! Now I wasn't expecting such a venomous snake quite so close to peoples homes. Less so all the kids. But this is the countryside after all! And I suspect the snakes were just as venomous back in Australia, if not more so.

Well this community exercise had to end with a gathering. This time, a BBQ at a local community hall. Presently I can say that the rest is just a haze. I do know that Asahi 'Dry' caused some general numbness (in my head that sounds like numb nuts. And at the time...). A selection of flavoured, I think I recall 25%  焼酎 (Shōchū) later disabled my central nervous system. [Ed: I now stand corrected - 35%!]


And yes, that is Toshiyuki-san using an 'industrial blower' to get the charcoals burning. He is also good at convincing people, me to be precise, to have another beer.

Come back soon as I too return to 'fill in the gaps'.

2 comments:

Akira and Taiga said...

Shouchu was 35% Alcohol. Also the rice grows in clump, because they sow in that way!!!!!! (Hope this was ur pommy joke...)

Unknown said...

Rice sowing technology was definitely not in 'Software Engineering 101'! 35%? Explains the numb nutting then :-)

Post a Comment