Thursday, October 13, 2011

Japan isn't all city life

There is far more to Japan than Tokyo and its skyscrapers. Much more. Kunisaki is a prime example of the other Japan. The one of peace and tranquility. There is still great attention to detail but also to living life to the full, the countryside way.

Living life well, to the full, just has to involve ones stomach. Japan, no matter where you are, is about food. Much the same way that France fills the role in Europe. Like France it has a big agricultural community. Kunisaki has a huge range of local produce, and the kind of country cooking that would make the French blush. I will be making blog posts in the near future to highlight my favourites both in our area and within easy driving distance.

I'm going to steal an old blog post I made in September 2008, entitled "Japan – not just technology!"
that I posted on my company site, as it still rings true.

I had been thinking about my last Japan trip en route to India. In seeing the massive development that is occurring in Bangalore – it is one big building site – I recalled being confronted with a comment about Japan to the effect that it was so crowded and, paraphrasing his stereotype, it is all “Tokyo”. I concede that a visit to Shibuya will be a little intense to the uninitiated, but lets head to some Japanese countryside.

I know that one can do little to dispel certain misconceptions, but I thought I would share some photos of the (Japanese) family home. To frame the picture, Kunisaki is in Oita prefecture (Kyushu) but still has all the advantages of Japanese products and services somewhat unlike my countryside experience in the UK (I bought my first house in Earby, near both Colne and Skipton in the north of England [Ed: surrounded by wild country moors and with a very low population]). Maybe the difference is that the population is around double that of the UK, though one could then counter this with its being a bigger country too. 


Even in the countryside the Japanese people can only be described as highly industrious, with a desire to get things, well, just right. The countryside is kept immaculate. 

Here are some pictures to dispel that Tokyo city ‘only’ image of Japan, and something calming for me amidst the urban explosion that is Bangalore, India.

Nice view out front
Pretty good out back too
Attention to detail!


And the kids love it
That was 2008, and it is as true now in 2011, as it has always been. So true in fact that we decided to come and live here. And you can't pay greater tribute to a place than that.

It's almost dinner time and I'm going to be in gastronomic heaven yet again. So from country Kunisaki, it's いただきます (itadakimasu). You'll hear that everywhere when people start to eat, much like the French 'bon appetit'! When it's this good, you really need to celebrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment