Saturday, October 15, 2011

From sunflower harvesting, to Ostrich - on a toothpick

 A strange start to the weekend, really. I knew we parents would help out with some sunflower harvesting which, I believe, the school had planted. Well I've never harvested. Anything, in fact. So I was up for it.

The story goes that someone had decided that sunflowers would absorb some of the radiation, in  Fukushima and affected areas. Here's a good explanation. So everywhere people had planted sunflowers to create the seeds to be sent over for planting. But apparently the effect is so negligible that the effort was maybe wasted.

Nonetheless, I arrived at the allocated field in my new ながぐつ (nagagutsu) or Wellies, ermmm, Wellington boots! Mini sheers in hand I learnt, by observation, that I should just cut the flower head off the stalk and chuck them into the nearest plastic container.

Well it was fun to work our way though the field, which we did quite quickly. Of course I was then told that there was another. A pleasant walk along the old river lead us to our second patch. Now that stream is so because of the Gyōnyū-damu  (yes, Gyonyu dam) which holds back much of the original water flow. Here's another nice google maps reference, which my wife apparently hates because of the childish attempt at rendering the dam name in hiragana.


"Yes dear" I says, and I do a little googling. Well when I search with 行入ダム I get these 2 wonderful links in Japanese [1] [2] from which I borrow this brilliant panorama.



Loading the tiny 660cc kei-car sized (possibly Suzuki) truck, mandatory kit for all farmers here, it was entertaining to see 校長 せんせい (kocho sensei - the school principal) ride atop the crates as they whisked off another load. My wife had taught me that the 'ko' was the one from gakkō (school) and the 'cho' from hanchō (section leader), the latter actually slipped into our own language - the 'head honcho'!

I had wondered whether the black snakes I had seen in the next field would make a showing, but the stomping feet, both parents and kids, was enough to send any such critters slithering hastily away. And here's a picture of what had been bothering me.


So, ignoring my snakey-phobia, we thought that maybe we'd get a cup of tea afterwards, but in fact we were invited back to a local business (a building company) owner's house, and were treated to a zillion pizzas done in his own outdoor pizza oven.

That was good enough, but in his back yard he had a farm, with a pen full of, well, ostriches! The day just seemed to get better by the minute! Being a good Japanese host he later brought out some lightly browned ostrich meat, and a handy dandy jar of toothpicks to serve oneself.

I must say I felt guilty eating this amazing bird, the relatives of whom were keeping our children entertained down the yard. They're a huge animal up close, but really quite gentle.




So there you have it, from sunflower harvesting to ostrich on a stick. Kunisaki is really just full of surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment