Friday, October 14, 2011

Mt Futago

Futago-san (Mount Futago) dominates the views whilst driving into our valley at Kunisaki. Looking at a map, we are based just about half way between the coast and the mountains, the latter at the centre of a great peninsula. I have just read that Futago-san stands at 720m. Thanks to Google maps I have this beautiful satellite image below, overlaid with some useful site names.


Now I have been wondering about the fantastic shape of the peninsula, and its geology, for a long time. Maybe why I chose our new banner image, which I can thankfully attribute to Earth Snapshot.

So what have I just discovered? The circular Kunisaki Peninsula is formed by large conical volcanoes, which includes Futago. It is a part of the Kuju volcanic cluster.

Twenty-eight ravines radiate outward from the peninsula’s center. Hmmm, so I guess I drive one of them - our valley! This image shows those ravines (thank you NASA).



My wife tells me that Futago means twin(s). And indeed Futago-san has a distinct twin peak. I'd noted the fantastic lava flows in the cliffs above Gyonyu dam (sitting near the top of our valley).

I feel so lucky to live in a place with such fantastic topograpical features! Ermmm, I mean I like the views :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment