Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interesting Japan fact #1

Whilst in Ota at the Shirahige Tahara Doburoku Matsuri I was not 100% accurate (and I never am, nor will be) on the status of homebrew in Japan. With a little prompting from our new friend Paul, and Wikipedia's entry on Beer in Japan, I hereby declare (with words other than my own)
In 1994, Japan's strict tax laws were relaxed allowing smaller breweries producing 60,000 litres (15,850 gal) per year. Before this change, breweries could not get a license without producing at least 2 million litres (528,000 gal) per year. As a result, a number of smaller breweries have been established throughout Japan. Although it is technically illegal to produce beverages containing more than 1% alcohol without a license, the law is rarely adhered to for homebrewers and homebrewing supplies are available from high street store Tokyu Hands and various websites.
In a country where booze is both cheap and of good quality, I don't really get home brew! I would probably be too lazy to 'buy in'. I suspect you have to have an adventurous palate and wish to recreate your own version of any one of the many amazing beers that are out there! Hmmm, OK, I do get it.

Well not specifically a Kunisaki story, but I do seem to drink a lot of beer, sake,... in Kunisaki so I think Food and Drink is a relevant topic. So it's 乾杯 (Kanpai or cheers) from Kunisaki!

No comments:

Post a Comment